Pilates improves overall stamina, corrects muscular imbalances, and slows the process of aging by bringing flexibility to the spine. The Castle Hill Fitness Pilates Instructor team have helped the young and old, healthy and sick, novice and expert to find their strength and movement from the core. Our Pilates Studio has been voted the Best Pilates Studio among Austinites for years.
WHAT IS PILATES?
Simply speaking, Pilates is a specific series of exercises that address the body as a whole, including the breath, nervous system, alignment, balance, and attention to how the muscles move and stabilize the joints. Pilates exercises use specific pieces of Pilates equipment: the Pilates Reformer, the Pilates Chair, and the Pilates Tower to name a few. Some Pilates exercises can also be performed on the floor with a mat, and there are various props and aids.
WHAT DOES PILATES DO?
Most people know Pilates for its exceptional development of the core. However, there’s more! A functional core is more than hard abdominals and a “six-pack”. A functional core includes the abdominal muscles as well as several others from the shoulder all the way to the pelvis. The ability to appropriately move the spine as well as stabilize it while moving the extremities is part of having a functional core.
WHO BENEFITS FROM PILATES?
Everyone! For those just beginning an exercise program, Pilates can help them find strength and awareness they may never have had before, or lost over time.
- Pilates is great for people who spend time in office settings as it counters the effects of sitting in front of a computer with rounded shoulders, tight hip flexors, and sagging abdominals.
- Athletes can improve their performance with Pilates by balancing muscles used repetitively in their chosen sport.
- And finally, everyone benefits by changing poor movement patterns into more efficient ones. Pilates is truly a cross-training form of exercise that can be practiced for life!
THREE WAYS TO DO PILATES AT CASTLE HILL FITNESS
Private Training. Get the maximum benefit and quicker results with one-on-one training in our Pilates Studio
Pilates Class Series. A blend of both private and group formats. Work progressively with a small group for a set session of weeks.
Weekly Classes. Drop-in on a weekly class to get a budget-friendly Pilates workout in!
WHAT ARE SOME RESULTS ONE CAN EXPECT?
There are numerous results, some of which are already listed above. Just a few of them are listed as follows:
- A connection between the Body, Mind, and Spirit. Much exercise promotes a body/mind split. Think of watching television while you work out as an example. There is not much awareness and attention paid to what the body is doing. It performs on autopilot, usually re-enforcing poor movement habits while continuing to overdevelop already overworked muscles and neglecting the underworked ones.
- Uniform development. Pilates is a conditioning program that brings the body back to a more healthy function that carries over into other life activities. The body becomes an orchestra where the muscles are the instruments playing together in a symphony instead of as musical instruments playing separately in discordance.
- Proper breathing. Everyone can feel the difference when sitting for long periods breathing shallowly compared to taking a few deep refreshing breaths. Remember that breathing well helps to cleanse the system. Even our breathing muscles become out of shape.
MEET THE CASTLE HILL FITNESS 360 PILATES INSTRUCTORS
Elite Pilates Instructor + M.A.T. Specialist
Melissa was a track and wrestling student athlete before receiving her BFA in Dance. She discovered Pilates after a dislocated knee took her off the dance floor, and she quickly fell in love with the practice, got certified and opened her own Pilates Studio in Seattle, WA. She has since taken years of wide-ranging continuing education courses and Pilates trainings. Melissa loves to teach Pilates because it helps people feel good and move better – both in their other workouts and daily lives. She is always thinking outside the box and expanding her repertoire to enhance her clients’ experience.
As part of her repertoire expansion, Melissa became a certified M.A.T. (Muscle Activation Technique) specialist in 2017. Her combination of MAT work and Pilates instruction helps clients correct muscular imbalances, joint instability, and limitations within their bodies.
BFA in Dance from Cornish College of the Arts
SPX Pilates Certification
Certified Aston Patterning Level 1 for Pilates
M.A.T. Certified Specialist
Joined the CHF Team in: 2017
Celeste has transferred her own life-long passion for movement into a passion for helping others move well. Inspired by clients and colleagues alike, her dedication to continuous learning and education has taken her down many corresponding roads.
Considering it the method that carries her through life, Celeste feels fortunate to have discovered Pilates at an early age - while majoring in dance as a teenager in Los Angeles - and has corrected many of her own imbalances & injuries with this technique. A practitioner of almost two decades at the time, she was proud to train in San Francisco under some of the most influential minds in the field - earning her Comprehensive Pilates training through Balanced Body in 2011. After discovering the benefits of GYROTONIC® soon after, she dedicated many hours of study to this unique & profound exercise art, which culminated in a trip to Germany to receive her certification in 2015.
Her background in dance influenced her to train, early on, in Advanced Massage and PT modalities. She is also a certified Group Fitness & TRX Instructor, and continues to expand her knowledge through progressive courses and workshops. Confident in her ability to work with all body types, she enjoys taking mothers through their pregnancies as well as helping people prevent or recuperate from injuries. Celeste considers interacting with a variety of people to be fun; and helping folks improve their overall health and well-being to be deeply fulfilling.
Comprehensive Pilates Certification - Balanced Body
TRX Suspension Trainer
GYROTONIC Level 1 Certification
Group Fitness Instructor - ACE
Joined the CHF Team in: 2017
Elite Pilates Instructor
Julie has a large background in dance with more than 20 years of body movement experience. Julie has been comprehensively certified in the Pilates Methodology with numerous anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology courses. Throughout her years of teaching Julie has instructed in and managed many professional Pilates studios and fitness facilities around the nation. She is a mother of 3 and very excited to be back teaching in Austin, Texas.
BFA in Dance/Choreography from California State at Long Beach
Comprehensive Pilates Certification through Peak Pilates
Joined the CHF Team in: 2018